Saturday, January 21, 2012

To Live

So I'm late to the "new years resolution" or "word for the year" post, but I can't let January slip by without cataloging my own new-found resign for steering myself to a better life.

I'll be the first to admit, although I love December and all its magic, I felt like a total slug most of that month. I was finishing up my Masters (which btw, I'm officially DONE with), eating poorly, not giving anything my best, and just overall in autopilot. So, January was a welcome, wonderful clean slate.

I made some more measurable and admittedly predictable goals for myself like eating better, exercising, and reading my Bible (chronologically this time with an app on my phone with is awesome), and I have done pretty well with each of those. I've already lost some weight, and I'm really focusing on preparing my body and my life for upcoming exciting times.

But, instead of just making specific daily goals, I really wanted to focus on the bigger picture. My mindset is so pivotal for me. I realized that all the ways I want to improve my life could be summarized with this:


"One final word, friends. We ask you—urge is more like it—that you keep on doing what we told you to do to please God, not in a dogged religious plod, but in a living, spirited dance. You know the guidelines we laid out for you from the Master Jesus. God wants you to live a pure life.
1 Thess 4:1 (Message)

In other words, TO LIVE

With one life to live, I try to remember how important it is to rise above the daily grind to that place of love, thankfulness, and beauty. No more mindless eating and using food as an escape! No more halfway doing my job with daily opportunities to make a difference slipping though my fingers! No more sluggish body not being treated as a temple! No more escaping to TV or mindless internet perusing!And not just to live, but to dance. I mean true waving-it-around-like-you-just-dont-care living. That's what I want my life to be, friends.


And so far, we are off to a pretty good start as evidenced by these miscellaneous January happenings:




Like using my Christmas present tickets to the Botanical Gardens for a bright date night.


The whole time we were there, Jason and I couldn't stop singing the Tangled song "And at last I see the lights"- I heart us.


Basking in the lovely glow of the sun setting over the city:



At last I see the light, And it's like the sky is new, And it's warm and real and bright
And the world has somehow shifted, All at once everything looks different
Now that I see you



And learning new skills: I do declare that 2012 will be the year that I learn to shoot manuel:


Shot in Auto:




And shot in manuel:
Jason's childhood teddybear-ready to be loved by future babes


Making the effort to spend intentional time with wonderful friends and their unbelievably, irresistibly cute baby girl


Sweet Noelle- I could just squeeze her.


And watching the world anew through her eyes:
Oh, a tag...how exciting!


 Making friends with Zero-



Getting in touch with our inner child with spend the night parties with our neice:
 Tickle Fight!
 I think kids really have this whole "living" thing down-epecially this kid



And good old backyard time with the pups:

 This picture cracks me up to no end-doesn't it look like he is dancing?? Hilarious!
My little lovin' pup


Yup, I'd say that's some pretty good hands-in-the-air livin'! And here's to a year full of it. Bring it on, 2012!





1 comment:

  1. LOVE!!! My word for the year: GROW! Grow as a Christian, wife, mother, teacher, friend, artist/photographer, etc. :) All except my jeans size, unless they are maternity! haha!

    ReplyDelete