Monday, February 21, 2011

My Best Friend's Baby Shower

Over the weekend, I threw my best friend a baby shower. This was my first time to ever play hostess for a big event, and it was a blast! Since some of my ideas were from blogland, I thought I would "pay it forward" and share what we did so maybe others can be inspired!


I'm planning on doing a separate post on how I made this wreath!


Here's the food! We had spinach dip with crackers, strawberry cookies made from cake batter, oreo brownies, fruit tray, chicken nuggets, cupcakes, veggies with dip, and triscuits, cheese, and pepperonis.

We had Raspberry lemonade, which I adapted from another recipe and contains just the minute maid concentrate and a bottle of sprite, and sweet tea with hint of peach, which is made from lipton tea bag and entirely too much sugar.


I made the diaper cake by just looking at pictures of ones I found online. You basically start with some sort of tiered base. Many I found used other baby items such as formula, bottles, etc, but I didn't realize I needed something like that and I was ready to make it, so I used....wait for it...solo cups. Classy, I know.
Next you just roll the diapers and secure them with a rubber band, then secure it around the base with a larger rubber band, and decorate with ribbon, etc. I made the little lollipops/flower/whatever you want them to be on the top with baby washcloths on straws : ).
You can also see two other ideas in this pic. First, an idea a friend tole me about was having all the guests self-address an envelope so that the mom-to-be does have to take the time to look the addresses up!
Then the other side were the supplies for our first game, diaper art! I unfortunately didn't get any pictures of the funny stuff people wrote.
Pretty much all the decorations were made on this bad boy:
http://www.cricut.com/
Unfortunately, the one I used does not belong to me, but I think it would be well worth the investment.


Another thing I tried to do was to think of multi-purpose decorations. For example, I got four receiving blankets and used them as table decor and then that was a part of my gift!


I made the pom poms using Martha's tutorial found here:
http://www.marthastewart.com/how-to/tissue-paper-pom-poms-how-to
I just used fishing wire instead of a floral wire thou and it worked great!


 Am got a lot of really nice things and we had a wonderful time! I couldn't help but flash back to all the moments we've shared together. From meeting for the first time in our freshman dorm rooms (where Am took a picture of me while I was talking on the phone to Jason, haha!), enduring college classes together, trips to the beach and passion conferences and each other's houses, being there for each other's engagements, driving around and sobbing the weekend of graduation, being in each others weddings, and now being on the heels of her becoming a mother! It's a great blessing to share life with great friends!

2 comments:

  1. 1. I wouldn't say "too much" sugar...I would say the perfect amount! :)
    2. I'm so glad you're my best friend!
    3. Everyone - this was the best shower I have ever had and you should steal the ideas...your friends will LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet shower. I love the wreath, what a cool idea!

    And by the way I love your banner picture. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete