Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Master

So, this week I'm starting my first course in my Masters. I must say that I was slightly nervous when the professor emailed us and told us to expect to spend 12 hours on this class every week. Yikes. This first class is entirely online, and so far, I'm enjoying it! I spend my evenings on the computer anyways so it works for me! Our first assignment was to create a homepage telling about ourselves and our experiences with mythology. Did I mention this class is entirely about mythology? My past experiences with mythology have been less than thrilling, but I'm trying to keep an open mind here. I thought I would include what I wrote on my homepage because it is a better summation of myself than I've ever given here before.

Hi! I am Chelsea. I am deeply rooted in my hometown in Georgia where I grew up with my wonderful family. I now have the privilege of teaching in the same county, and I'm in my second year of teaching 8th grade Language Arts at a local middle school. I received my Bachelor's degree in Middle Grades Education from Berry College, which is my third favorite place on earth, right after home and Disney World. I consider teaching to be an honor, and I am passionate about showing students the power of their own words. I love and enjoy my students, and I laugh every single day. 

When I'm not changing the world one student at a time, I enjoy blogging, devouring books, and doing anything with my husband and our puppy Zero. I have a love/hate relationship with exercising, and I'm currently attempting to complete the couch to 5k program with a fellow teacher. My husband is the youth leader at our church, New Hope Baptist, and I am honored to help teach and hang out with those students as well. I am passionate about growing in my faith as a Christian, and try to live my life to reflect that. 

My knowledge of Greek & Roman mythology stems from vague memories of studying it in 10th grade Literature, images and experiences of Roman mythology I had while touring Italy on May-mester, and being bombarded with current interpretations on it through my students' love of "The Lightning Thief" series as well as my husband's constant commentary on his God of War video game. My objective for this class is to broaden my exposure, appreciation, and understanding of these great works of Literature in order to be a better teacher of reading and language. I'm excited for the challenge, and look forward to the end result.

So there you have it! I hope this class is low stress and highly useful. One thing I do want to amend after I complete this degree is the lack of title change that comes with graduate work. I mean, when you get a doctorate, you become Dr. so-and-so, so come December 2011, you can all (hopefully) start referring to me as Master L. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love this description of you! Especially the part about Berry being your third favorite place on Earth after home and Disney - ha! Best wishes with the master's - you will do great and be able to conquer this next challenge!

    ReplyDelete