Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Get Behind Me

We went to an awesome service Sunday night with our church. It was an association wide meeting with a mass choir (which I loved being a part of) and preaching from the chairman of the international paryer team, Dave Butts. There is SO much from the service and that night that I could talk about but the main thing that has stayed with me is from this passage:

Matthew 16:21-23
From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.
Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!”
Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.”

So what just happened here? Peter, a disciple and best friend of Christ, was just used by Satan through what he said. Whoa. So if the person who Christ built the church upon can fall prey to the devil, certainly we are at a high risk of this as well.

I know that I have had other people say things to me that were directly from the adversary, and ashamadly, I know I have also let my mouth speak things from him. It was interesting, so soon after we left church, Satan began his attacks. Nothing huge, just little comments and attitudes from various people that I knew were not of my God. It was so helpful for me to realize what was happening...it wasn't just that person speaking.

One may question why a GREAT God would have any sort of problem dealing with someone as weak as the devil. The preacher gave this great illistration. Imagine if an ant walked up to you now and challenged you to arm wrestle. Can you imagine? Realistically, it can't be done. You are just too big, and the ant is just too small. Sure, you could squash that bug in .02 seconds, but to actually win in arm wrestling, that is tricky. The only way to accomplish it, would be if you became an ant, just like Jesus became man, defeated death, hell, and the grave, and rescued us all.

However, even now, the devil prowls around like a lion looking for someone to devour. So although he can tempt us now, he has already been defeated and the power that raised Jesus from the dead is within us AND we have our sheild of faith and sword of the word to defeat those flaming darts. So bring it on, devil-boy. The fact that you are attacking means I'm headed in the right direction, my God has already squashed you like the tiny bug that you are.
I pray that I will never again be used by the devil to speak his nasty lies, and that I will also be able to recognize when people around me are being devoured and used of him. I pray that instead each day I am given I can do just this...

...let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 10:25

By the power of Jesus, I will set my mind on things above (Col 3:2) and not be a stumling block to anyone (Rom 14:13), but to encourage (or give courage) to everyone I come in contact with.

I'll end with the simple words of praise from a song we sang that night...

Thank you Jesus. Hallelujah. Amen Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment