Thursday, May 20, 2010

Back Where I Come From

When I was away at college, I would sit and listen to Kenny Chesney's "Back Where I come from" on repeat and miss home. That should tell you two things about me...
1. I'm (proudly) from the South
2. I love my hometown

There are so many wonderful things about my hometown in north Georgia. I absolutely love it, and really can't see myself ever moving. Both Jason and my families are here, and we have deep roots in this town. In fact, my family has lived in the county I live in now for FIVE generations. And you know, I'm pretty proud of that.

Although my town has changed A LOT over the past 10 years, there are still some awesome secrets I can let you in on...

1. R & M Sandwhich Shoppe
This is in our old downtown area, and it is, without a doubt, the BEST sandwich you will ever put in your mouth. It's actually my husbands favorite place to eat in the world. He would rather have a Donna Special than to a pricey steak house any day. Which, by the way, when Jason walks in the ladies look at him, he smiles, and they put his order in because they already know what he wants. How is that for hometown?

2. The people
I am a old southern girl and I am all about some "good 'ol boys". Simple southern people are my favorite and we have quite a few still around here. One perfect example is Mr. Billy from the town shoe shop:

That my friends is our town's cobbler. This is old town at it's best. He has been fixin shoes for over 50 years. I took a pair of heels to him not long ago because the buckle had fallen off of them. He replaced the buckle and sewed up the other one to prevent it from coming off, and the crazy amazing part...He charged me .75 cents. I've bought gum for more than that. 


3. Location, Location, Location

Our water tower boasts that our town is "where metro meets the mountains" which is a nice way to describe my town. We are about 45 minutes from Atlanta, but still a smaller (although growing) southern town in the mountains. I'm lovin lately that I can hop in my car and meet my friends from college in Atlanta, but still come home to the "country" too. 
I'm also so thankful to teach in the county that I do. We are so blessed with resources and our student population. In my biased opinion, we have awesome schools.


4. I think the main reason I love my town is because it holds all the places which hold my memories, and mainly like I said earlier is that it has all of these people just a few miles down the road...

My family and I with My great Aunt Bonnie at the church I grew up in (another reason to love my town: small country churches, what could be better?).


Back where I come from 
where I'll be when it's said and done
I'm proud as anyone
Back where I come from.

7 comments:

  1. I found you on Kelly's Show Us Your Life...I too live in your area and LOVE R&M Sandwiches. The Italian is my fav.! I am not from here originally, but we are raising our kids here and love it. Hope they grow up w/ those same values and great roots you speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post!! I love all your pictures!! Your blog is too cute! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok - so I am clicking away on KK blog - looking at GA blogs - b/c thats where I am from. When I saw R&M - I thought...really? Cant be another blogger - KK reader from Ctown? It can be..LOL! It took me a while to figure out who you were, but I have met you before. You know my husband!! Too neat! I enjoyed reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous blog...I love your header!! We use to live in a small town in Texas. I miss small town life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that song by Kenny!!!! It's one of my all-time favs! And, I, too, love our town :) Happy Day, Chels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great to still be living in the same town as the past 5 generations of your family! It doesn't look like that will be happening for my future children considering I've already moved halfway across the country from my parents

    ReplyDelete