Thursday, April 22, 2010

How I met my Husband:





Jason and I are quickly approaching our 1 year anniversary on June 20th, I can't believe it! It's been a long wonderful journey to this point, and  it is crazy just how the Lord orchestrated it for the two of us to come together. So let's rewind  seven years to June 2003...

I am 16 years old and have just finished my sophomore year of high school. My rockin grandma invites me to accompany her on a mission trip (she has been on a total of 50, I'm telling you.. she is awesome!) with an organization called Builder's for Christ. The trip was to Washington State to construct a church. I remember boarding the plane with my grandma and other group members so vividly. The in-flight movie was "How to Loose a guy in 10 days". Well, drooling over Matthew McConaughey and admiring the ways of Kate Hudson for two hours was enough to send my 16-year-old-never-been-kissed-or-had-a-boyfriend brain into dreamland.  I reached for my journal and wrote...
"I wanna be sexy, cool, confident, independent! I gotta learn to love the person I am...I am on my way to Washington to be with God and make myself better." If only I had known just how my life was about to be altered...

So, we arrive at the work site and everyone goes off to do various jobs. My first job was marking boards to be cut with a 50-something lady name Charlene. Now, nothing against Charlene but I was honestly thinking that if this was a preview for the week, it may be a long one... But in that moment I heard what I knew would be my salvation. I heard laughter from younger people. My eyes searched to find the source and there they were. It was a group of people who looked to be teens to twenties aged. Glory Be! I excused myself from the job with Charlene and sized the group up as I walked over. There were two guys and one girl in the group. When I walked over, one guy immediately looked over and introduced himself. His name, Jason. He showed me how to do the job they were doing, and invited me to sit with them at dinner. I was already becoming smitten. Even within our first exchange I could see what a genuine guy he was. I later described him as they type of person who makes you feel good about yourself just by talking with him! On top of all that, he was so cute, boy was  is he cute.

So, I sat at the "youth table" with my new found friends at dinner. We all started exchanging introductions. That is when I found out that my new found friend and crush Jason was 22 years old, 6 years my senior. Ouch. Although this was initially a blow I didn't let it stop me from shameless flirting (along with all the other girls) through out the week. But, I never thought he thought of me as anything more than a little sister type. We did spend one really awesome day together: excursion day. This was when we all took a break from working on the church and saw the sites of the town. So we spent the day at some national park museum which was less than thrilling, but I was in Heaven. It was on that day that we took our first picture together of just the two of us:


Soon after that, the trip ended. And I must throw out a fact he will never live down, he didn't tell me bye :(. We went back to our own lives and didn't talk for an entire year. We both dated other people. But then a year later, after a "reunion meeting" for the trip, we started hanging out. First with others, then by ourselves, and as they say, the rest is history. We officially became a couple on May 5th, 2004. Many people didn't think it could work because of our age difference and the fact that I was about to go to college, but we dated for 5 years and here we are, as happy as can be. 






11 comments:

  1. Your love story reminds me so much of my own! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your love story reminds me so much of my own! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you wrote in your journal!! What a great story and y'all are so cute!! Congrats on almost 1 year of wedded bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good love story....Had a few hours to blog hop tonight......so glad that I stopped here....Be sure and stop by and read about a miracle in our family....
    http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/2010/04/i-think-god-smiled.html
    http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. And he sounds completely honorable to have waited for you during the college years- wise, wise. Hope you have something wonderful planned for your first anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, people will often say "Oh, I don't know..." when it comes to relationships that are out of the "norm": age differences, married young, married old, etc. etc. etc. When love is right...it GLOWS. You, my dear, are glowing! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coming for Kelly's Korner...very fun story! Amazing how life works!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet. I love the top picture. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really impressed that you two wound up together even with all the not so average factors (like your age difference, the fact that you were long distance, and that you were in high school when you meant). And congrats on your soon to be 1 year anniversary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your wedding photos are as beautiful as your story :)

    ReplyDelete