Monday, March 29, 2010

Prunin' and Plowin'

I am the true vine, and my father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.
John 15:1-2

 Pruning hurts. 


But, the Lord is so, so faithful. I've been dealing with some stuff lately (aka sin), and He just kept leading me to stuff about the VINE. Check this out...


First, my real life friend Lauren wrote this beautiful post about vines: The Vine
Then Today, oh my, Angie wrote this post on weeds: The Weeds
(If you haven't read her story yet, run do not walk to her blog now.)

So back to that ugliness, I need to confess that I have totally failed at this:

If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ (got that)
If any comfort from his love (boy do I)
If any fellowship with the spirit (nothing sweeter)
then make my joy complete by....
being like-minded
having the same love
being one in spirit and in purpose.
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility,
consider others better than yourselves. 
Phillipians 2:1-3

The longer I'm a Christian, the more I see how important the Church is. The horrible, scary, disgusting this is what we have turned the modern church into. The Church should be SO POWERFUL, and I believe the reason that we aren't is because of the exact sin I have been committing.

We are not unified.

I raise my hand to confess my own guilt in contributing to the disunity even within my own body of believers. I must confess that I have gossiped, I have been jealous and envious, I have given way to hate against my brother and sister, I have judged, I have lied, I have stolen, I have grumbled and complained, I have let the devil steal my joy and love from me.

I have already confessed these sins to the Father, but now for the scary part... I know I must confess these sins to one particular person I have mainly sinned against. But, I am so looking forward to how the Lord will bless it, and how He will restore fellowship and some of that power will be rekindled.


Lord, Help me to recognize sin, hate it, and fight against it every single time.Thank you for pruning my life. Cover me with your humility, and help me to always see others as your precious children and as better than myself. Unify  our fellowship, restore the power. Your joy and glory are the desire of my heart.

One last quote from a friend...
"Why should I be frightened and surprised by the plow of the Lord, which makes deep furrows in my soul? I know He is not some arbitrary or irrational farmer- His purpose is to yield a harvest." -Samuel Rutherford


1 comment:

  1. I'm commenting again... oh snap!

    Love you, Chels, and I'm so excited and proud of you for recognizing where God is urging you to grow in Him. Learning to fix and mend the sins in our lives is such a humbling process, a refining process even. I'm convinced that if we, as Christians, were to use ourselves to end gossip and hateful or jealous words, we could literally change the world. And be so much better for it.
    I can't really speak for Jesus, but if I could, I bet He'd say your honesty was sexy.

    Ok, see? That's why I don't speak for Jesus.

    ReplyDelete