Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Making Home

        Ever since I was a child, I have always loved being creative. My specialty has always been taking limited resources and somehow creating whatever was needed. From Bible school room decor to school projects, the opportunity to be creative has always captivated me. 8 months ago I was given a blank canvas upon which to create. For it was 8 months ago that my husband and I moved into our first apartment. Not just an apartment, but a basement apartment. Not just a basement apartment, but the place that once belonged to my  grandmother and was filled with her things and memories. I am so happy and proud of our decision to move here, but at first I was scared. Scared that it wouldn't feel like ours. The most important thing to me was that the place felt like home to Jason and I. Thus began my new love of decorating; my new favorite way to create. I have been so inspired by many blogs (what else?) particularly....The Nester & also 320*Sycamore and other's style that I just really love like Raechal at Finding my feet (look at her new nursery, drool) and Katie at Harrington House (Allie, if you read this, this girl reminds me of you!). All this new inspiration called for a few projects on this my week off! Let's see the before...





First, the curtains in my bedroom. So, so bad. These were a quick pick-up at Target, I threw them up there with a rod that was already there, and just never came back and fixed them. They are too long and just generally weren't doing much for the window.

Before I show you the after, let me point you to my inspiration. It's from one of the sites linked above: The nester. She has a whole section on window mistreatments, that is what I decided to do. It's basically a "no sew, no lining, totally not perfect,  just make what you like approach". So if you have time, hop over and take a look. She also supports the mantra that it, doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful, amen sister! So the after...









     Okay, so not perfect, but I like it! I loved that fabric, and I just came home and started pinning it different ways. I probably won't leave it like this forever, but it is for sure 1000 times better than the before! And I just loved the opportunity to create.








Next project, before....





     This is the wall behind my dining table, for whatever reason, it just kinda was left bare. Blank Canvas, I love it. Since becoming a wife and "home" maker, if you will, I have a newfound love of dishes. I knew I wanted some of those on the wall, but it needed something more. I should mention that before this creation-fest, I spent no less than two hours in the place I affectionately call Hob Lob. Oh, I love that store! So many beautiful opportunities. I had these projects in mind and I went to town. Ok, ok, the after....










    Check out what I found! I was thinking of some sort of saying, but the vinyl lettering I liked was $30, no thanks! I kept on the hunt, and found that perfect little thing you see there! It was on clearance for guess how much..... TWO dollars. You just can not beat that with a stick. And I loved the message. Welcome! I pray that our home is always a welcome haven for others. The top three plate holders were half off, and were $2.50 each. The bottom plate holder, I already had (but it's also from the Hob Lob, it was on sale for like $5). So not counting the dishes, this wall cost a total of about $15. Oh yes.

There is also another variation of this wall...




   I think it's a nice option, especially if I'm using the platter (which another shout out to Allie, who gave me that platter as a wedding gift!) But the Bible on the stand , that was my super cute and oh so talented hub's idea! A little shout out, you know who was the one who really made most of this actually happen? This handsome handy man here....



    Yes, be jealous. Look at those biceps. But even more than those, I'm so so thankful for a man who will come home after working all day and then teaching a Bible Study, and will still happily (yes, happily) go to town on a project for me. I am one blessed woman. 


  So there you have it! I actually have one more project idea in mind that I hope to accomplish before my week off ends. So hopefully that will be coming at ya soon!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Chels! Also...I saw on facebook you checked off your whole to-do list! Congratulations! I am proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I love this. And you. You're adorable :)

    ReplyDelete