Thursday, December 3, 2009

The power of the insignificant

God never ceases to amaze me how he can take something totally and completely insignificant and turn it into something powerful and beautiful.
A scarlet thread protects a nation.
An old donkey transports the King of Kings.
A run-down barn is the birth room for the son of God.
Sometimes it's hard to believe God when He tells me that He can turn the insignificant to significant in with my words and deeds, but lately He has been showing me how powerful the insignificant can really be...
If you don't already know, I teach middle schoolers. They are sassy and awkward, but I love them. It's so interesting to watch them interact with peers, and watch their personalities form and shine. I try to make a habit to stand at my door every morning and tell my homeroom "good morning" as they enter. It's so hilarious to watch them come down the hall as the anticipate the interaction. Eyes go darting, hands start fidgeting, but they know what is coming. So many of them still awkwardly look down and don't even muster a simple response. Often through out my day I recall myself as a middle schooler (an occupational hazard, I suppose), and I realize I was right there with them. I would dread these simple interactions. For some reason, the potential for awkwardness terrified me. However, the most frightening thing is, many adults (sometimes even myself) still suffer from this.
However, there is this one student I have, we will say his name is Chris. You have to get the picture to understand. He is a short little fella, probably just a few inches over the 5 foot mark, and he deems it necessary to carry every book and binder and pencil case he has with him for the entire day. He holds his arms out straight and the books seriously almost stack up to his neck. The most enduring part about him is, he walks with a spring in his step, a smile on his face, and a wooden cross necklace around his neck. Every morning, without fail, he comes down the hall, smiles, and greets me. And every morning, it brings a huge smile to my face.
Another "insignificant" experience I had recently at the grocery store. Jason and I were strolling through and this lady stopped us and said "This is random, but I just felt like I needed to tell you that God loves you very much." That brought such joy to me! Jason responded by thanking her and telling her that we knew Him as our savior and thanked her, and that insignificant episode has stayed with me and encouraged me for a few months now. What a great God.

Lord, help me to walk in love as these two examples did, and fulfill the great commission by simply letting my light shine before men. Help me to understand the power that resides within me. Help me to listen closely to the Holy Spirit as He prods me to do things I may not understand, and act quickly in obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment